Apologies if this is a well answered question, but I’m looking for a
doc on the opscode site or somewhere that specifically documents the
branching and release strategy used in the management of the chef open
source code itself. Looking at previous versions and the branches on
GitHub, you can get a rough idea, but for corporate purposes, it would
be nice to see an official document. Something to answer questions
- implicit meaning behind major/minor version number changes
- is there an official “unstable” branch besides head?
- will there be an official “stable” branch?
- what are the timelines and criteria for moving features to “stable”?
- specific policies regarding timelines and beta/RC releases as well
as major releases?
To give this some context, basically I’m looking at running Chef in a
production environment and not using Platform so I need to plan out a
strategy to keep Chef client and server code on our internal installs
up to date but stable for production use. I’m also open to hearing
about other folks’ experiences in this regard. Happy to chat with you
off list if that is more helpful.