benny Vasquez Shared
Testing Chef Infra Cookbooks Fast with Docker! In the third and final session of our quickfire webinar series, @tas50 will wrap up the conversation about getting your Chef automation in shape, by touching on best practices for using Chef Infra Custom Resources. Tim will build on our previous sessions by showing users of all levels how they can use custom resources to expand and extend Chef Infra. Get your automation in shape and get more out of your existing Chef investments!
This week’s releases
benny Vasquez shared
Habitat 1.6.267 was released earlier this week. This one includes a couple of bug fixes and a LONG list of dependency updates. I definitely recommend taking a look here. https://discourse.chef.io/t/chef-habitat-1-6-267-released/19649
benny Vasquez shared
- Merged UI modal for adding Infra Client
- Added option in the UI to delete an Infra Role
- Added option in the UI to delete an Infra Client
- Added option in the UI to delete an Infra Environment
- Updated Chef Infra Server to version 14.1
- Merged modals for adding Chef Server and Organizations
- Added option in the UI to delete Chef Servers and Organizations
- Merged modals for adding and deleting Infra Data Bags
- Upgraded ElasticSearch to 6.8.14 and OpenJDK version 11.0.10+9
Hello from the Habitat team!
We released Habitat 1.6.267 this week. This release mainly includes dependency updates and a couple minor bug fixes. You can take a look at https://github.com/habitat-sh/habitat/blob/master/CHANGELOG.md#16267-2021-03-09 for the details
Chef Infra Client
- Getting closer to merging the splitting of knife and chef gems
- Digging into test failures in M1 macs due to security changes in Big Sur
- Working on p12 cert improvements to windows_certificate which we discovered when working on getting client.pem into the certificate store
- chef packages on Linux now create /etc/chef and the various child directories to make bootstrapping from the node easier
- A new effortless? helper has been added to the Chef Infra Language
Chef Infra Server
- Work is in progress to keep the Gemfile and Erlang deps updated. We added dependabot to the repo to open PR's that auto bump the deps to the latest for us.
- We are making steady progress on exposing 503 mode at a ctl command. ( https://github.com/chef/chef-server/issues/2089 )
- Merged PR to remove login shell for the opscode user: https://github.com/chef/chef-server/pull/2286
- Continuing work to add support for enabling mtls on the Chef Infra Server.That is all for us this week!
The Chef InSpec team is working on:
- MacOS m1 support
- Adding support in train for setting a user when connection to docker containers
- Added a CLI option to filter empty profiles (such as resource packs) from the output
- Fixed the crontab resource when passing a username on AIX
- Added git to the Docker build
- Fixed a backtrace when using cmp to match against nil values
- Onboarding new team members
In Chef Workstation -land this week...
- we've upgraded chef-workstation-app to a newer Electron, and have added smoke tests to BuildKite to make future upgrades less painful.
- We've pulled in the latest git with a CVE fix
- continued further down the path adding Solaris target support to chef-run
Hello from Sous Chefs!
Here's the list of new releases in the past week:
- jenkins - 8.2.2: Allow setting of JENKINS_ENABLE_ACCESS_LOG for RHEL based controllers
- rundeck - 5.2.0: Fix rundeck_dependencies to use java adoptopenjdk resource instead of recipe that causes errors
- users - 5.7.0: Add manage_home to the :remove action of the manage resource
- yum-amazon - 4.0.0: Sous Chefs Adoption / Remove Amazon Linux version 1 support
- yum-elrepo - 2.1.0: Sous Chefs Adoption
- yum-percona - 3.1.0: Sous Chefs Adoption
Some open PRs that might be of interest:
- apache2 - Fix apache2_mod_auth_cas resource for all supported platforms (minor bump) #736
- users - Make resource independent of data bags (major bump) #445
Some adoption PRs currently in progress:
Thanks to the OSUOSL students for working on getting these cookbooks cleaned up and adopted to Sous Chefs!
Hello from the Cinc Project!
- We now have a Windows build, current beta release is available here
- Build now excludes chef-workstation-app (desktop menu application)
- Uses ruby based wrappers now (similar to what client uses)
- Fixed Uninstall script on MacOS
- Replaced installation artwork with Cinc logos
- Replaced habitat with biome CLI (currently only on Linux)
- MacOS and Windows will have biome once upstream has a build for it ready
- Unified build instructions from .gitlab-ci.yml to individual bash scripts for MacOS and Windows
- Using Cinc S3 server for Omnibus artifacts now (required when we added biome)
- Getting very close to having a stable build ready!
- Still working on resolving some build failures for releasing 14.1.0
- Should have more time this week to look into this now that the Workstation issues have been mostly resolved
We have started having a public triage zoom meetings bi-weekly that everyone is welcome to join. Our next public triage will be on March 24 at 11AM PDT. I'll send a meeting link in the #community-distros channel when the meeting starts.