benny Vasquez shared
- I’m hiring another Dev Advocate! The posting just went live here: https://www.progress.com/company/careers/developer-advocate--chef-odIXefwQ
- Chef is letting @tas50 and I host the Chef Infra Client 17 Virtual Launch and Community Celebration on April 28th. You should definitely come to the party, but also: let us know what you’d like to see? Since it’s Tim and I running it, you can influence what we present and make it more useful for y’all!
This week’s releases
benny Vasquez shared
Last week we released some new bento boxes. Updated images include: Ubuntu 16.04/18.04/20.10/21.04, Almalinux 8, CentOS 6/7/8, Fedora 32/33, Oracle 7/8.
and last night, we had a cookstyle release. Cookstyle 6.10 has been released. This release updates RuboCop to 1.12 with detection and auto correction improvements
benny Vasquez shared
- Removed the feature flag for the Infra data bags.
- Added ability to Create an Infra Environment in the UI.
- Added ability to Edit an Infra Environment in the UI.
- Added ability to Create an Infra data bags in the UI.
- Added ability to Create an Infra roles in the UI.
- Improved the Automate documentation.
- We merged some changes to improve the pipeline.
Chef Infra Client
- Merged in the first part of Ruby 3 support in Infra Client along with changes to how we appbundle update. It's been a lot of work
- The work to split out knife from the chef gem is nearly done. :fingers-crossed: merging soon.
- Prepping a Chef 15 release for openssl CVE along with other minor updates. This will be the last 15 release
Chef Infra Server
- Work continues on updating rails, elasticsearch, and postgresql
- We now produce Amazon Linux 2 packages
- PR open to enable HSTS
- PR up to require TLS 1.2 and later by default
- PR up to remove the exposed bifrost port that is no longer necessary
So in the past few weeks like @tas50 mentioned the focus has been security for Server team. We also continue the task of keeping server Gemfiles and Erlang deps updated. Work is in progress for:
- Improvements in the reindexing experience
- Adding a ctl command for enabling maintenance mode
- Adding mtls support for server
- Testing the changes to add support for sig_v4
The Chef InSpec team is working on:
- Fixed the --controls CLI option to actually skip all other controls, instead of merely filtering the results
- Fixing a deprecation warning in FilterTable
- Making the git fetcher work for repos whose default branch is not master
- Adding timeout support to the command resource
- Support for Docker for Windows, with some caveats
Hello from Sous Chefs!
Here's the list of new releases in the past week:
- fastly - 0.6.0: Sous Chefs Adoption
- mcelog - 2.1.0: Sous Chefs Adoption
- postgresql - 8.3.0: Fix idempotency when installing multiple client versions
- remote_install - 2.1.1: Cookstyle fixes
- transmission - 5.0.1: Cookstyle fixes
- trusted_certificate - 3.4.0: Sous Chefs Adoption
- trusted_certificate - 3.5.0: Add sensitive property to certificate sourced from content passed to the resource
- yum - 6.1.0: complete ip_resolve additions started in 6.0.0
- yum-remi-chef - 4.1.0: Sous Chefs Adoption / Add php 7.4 support
We've hit a wall on our terraform deployment in Sous Chefs and @damacus is working on splitting it out into a few repos
Hello from the Cinc Project!
- Released 16.11.7
- This release includes our first MacOS M1 build!
- Worked through some of the build issues with 14.1.0 and have a workaround in place that's currently being worked on
- MR with the fix: MR with the fix
- Change made in our chef-server repo
- I created a new issue in chef-server to address the primary issue we've been running into
Hoping to have a the last few releases of server out soon
- Updated the backend software for our omnitruck instance
- This resolved https://gitlab.com/cinc-project/upstream/mixlib-install/-/issues/3 and https://gitlab.com/cinc-project/upstream/mixlib-install/-/issues/2
- I also fixed some naming issues with the MacOS 11 binaries that may have caused some issues for users with Omnitruck (possibly related to https://gitlab.com/cinc-project/upstream/mixlib-install/-/issues/4 )
I think that covers everything from Cinc, We'll have another public triage in two weeks
I have a large ohai PR that will make some new data available for the cpu attributes. Would like some community feedback on it. I'll be posting some before/after data examples so folks can see what will be added and/or changed.