Memory leak


#1

Anyone else care about this problem(
http://tickets.opscode.com/browse/CHEF-3432 ) besides me? :slight_smile: We do
automatically restart every 100 Mb. It’s not a production way as I think.


#2

We had an issue like this. Chef-client was not forking correctly. I think
this attr might help: node.override[“chef_client”][“daemon_options”] =
["–fork"]

Nic

On Wed, Jun 12, 2013 at 4:59 AM, nowarry@gmail.com wrote:

Anyone else care about this problem(
http://tickets.opscode.com/browse/CHEF-3432 ) besides me? :slight_smile: We do
automatically restart every 100 Mb. It’s not a production way as I think.


#3

With version 3.0.0 of the chef-client cookbook, you’ll want:

node[‘chef_client’][‘config’][‘client_fork’] = true


Joshua Timberman

On Wednesday, June 12, 2013 at 9:09, Nic Grayson wrote:

We had an issue like this. Chef-client was not forking correctly. I think this attr might help: node.override[“chef_client”][“daemon_options”] = ["–fork"]

Nic

On Wed, Jun 12, 2013 at 4:59 AM, <nowarry@gmail.com (mailto:nowarry@gmail.com)> wrote:

Anyone else care about this problem(
http://tickets.opscode.com/browse/CHEF-3432 ) besides me? :slight_smile: We do
automatically restart every 100 Mb. It’s not a production way as I think.


#4

Hi,

On 6/12/13 2:59 AM, nowarry@gmail.com wrote:

Anyone else care about this problem(
http://tickets.opscode.com/browse/CHEF-3432 ) besides me? :slight_smile:

Yes. :slight_smile:

We do
automatically restart every 100 Mb. It’s not a production way as I think.

As others have mentioned, using --fork avoids many of these issues.
However, it would also be great to track down the source of the leaks
when we can.

One issue in a number of the memory-leak related bugs is that it is hard
to discern whether the various reports are stemming from the same root
cause.

For instance, after some investigation via a support ticket, a colleague
and I believe we have one reproducible memory leak in Chef 10 pinned
down. However, this reproduction case doesn’t manifest in Chef 11 as
some users are reporting.

Some helpful information would include answers to some of the following
(if you are one of the contributors to that ticket, my apologies, if you
have already answered these):

  • Are you experiencing this problem on a particular version of Chef?
  • Are you experiencing this problem on a particular version of Ruby?
  • Can you reproduce the problem with a minimal run list or small example
    cookbook?

Cheers,

Steven


Steven Danna
Systems Engineer, Opscode, Inc
GPG Key: http://stevendanna.github.com/downloads/code/public.key


#5

Thanks Nic, with fork it randomly down with [chef-client] :frowning:

Hi Steve. You know the problem was not repeated last 2-3 days. I monitor
memory consumption with Zabbix. I’ll Let you know as soon as the situation
is repeated.

Thank you.

On Thu, Jun 13, 2013 at 9:25 AM, Steven Danna steve@opscode.com wrote:

Hi,

On 6/12/13 2:59 AM, nowarry@gmail.com wrote:

Anyone else care about this problem(
http://tickets.opscode.com/browse/CHEF-3432 ) besides me? :slight_smile:

Yes. :slight_smile:

We do
automatically restart every 100 Mb. It’s not a production way as I think.

As others have mentioned, using --fork avoids many of these issues.
However, it would also be great to track down the source of the leaks
when we can.

One issue in a number of the memory-leak related bugs is that it is hard
to discern whether the various reports are stemming from the same root
cause.

For instance, after some investigation via a support ticket, a colleague
and I believe we have one reproducible memory leak in Chef 10 pinned
down. However, this reproduction case doesn’t manifest in Chef 11 as
some users are reporting.

Some helpful information would include answers to some of the following
(if you are one of the contributors to that ticket, my apologies, if you
have already answered these):

  • Are you experiencing this problem on a particular version of Chef?
  • Are you experiencing this problem on a particular version of Ruby?
  • Can you reproduce the problem with a minimal run list or small example
    cookbook?

Cheers,

Steven


Steven Danna
Systems Engineer, Opscode, Inc
GPG Key: http://stevendanna.github.com/downloads/code/public.key


#6

On Sunday, June 16, 2013 at 11:29 AM, Astlock wrote:

Thanks Nic, with fork it randomly down with [chef-client] :frowning:

Can you file a ticket on this issue? I was gonna look into ways to fix or mitigate the problem, but there was no bug report so I didn’t know what to do to reproduce the problem, so I couldn’t know if my patch would actually solve anything.


Daniel DeLeo


#7

I’d love to see some of the leaks fixed, but for our environment we’ve been
using cron instead of daemon/fork, and it has been solid for many months.

On Mon, Jun 17, 2013 at 12:28 PM, Daniel DeLeo dan@kallistec.com wrote:

On Sunday, June 16, 2013 at 11:29 AM, Astlock wrote:

Thanks Nic, with fork it randomly down with [chef-client] :frowning:

Can you file a ticket on this issue? I was gonna look into ways to fix or
mitigate the problem, but there was no bug report so I didn’t know what to
do to reproduce the problem, so I couldn’t know if my patch would actually
solve anything.


Daniel DeLeo