Newly deprecated Chef managed cookbooks

Hey folks,

I wanted to keep everyone updated on some newly deprecated cookbooks previously maintained by Chef. There's a good chance you have at least one of these in your environment and I wanted to explain the impact.

Newly Deprecated Cookbooks

habitat

The habitat cookbook shipped a handful of resources for installing habitat itself, installing habitat packages, and managing services. These resources are all built into Chef Infra Client 17.3 or later so there's no need for this cookbook going forward.

chef-vault

The chef-vault cookbook installed the chef-vault gem and included helpers and resources for using chef-vault. This functionality is now built into Chef Infra Client 16 or later so there's no need for this cookbook going forward.

audit

The audit cookbook allowed installed the InSpec gem and included handlers for sending compliance report data to Automate. This functionality is now built into Chef Infra Client 17 and later with the new Compliance Phase.

https://docs.chef.io/chef_compliance_phase/

chef-client

The chef-client cookbook included a large number of recipes and attributes for managing the configuration of the client.rb file and setting up Chef Infra Client to run on a schedule. This functionality is now built into Chef Infra Client releases with new resources that allow you to configure the client without the large mess of dozens of attributes and recipes.

Older Chef Infra Client Releases

If you're using an older release of Chef Infra Client before the functionality of these cookbooks was built-in fear not. You can continue to use these cookbooks just like you've always done. When you upgrade just remove them from your runlist and enjoy Chef Infra Client runs without the additional dependencies.

What do I need to do today?

As always we recommend running the latest Chef Infra Client without redundant cookbook dependencies. For now, you can continue to run these cookbooks without impact on your infrastructure. In the future Cookstyle will flag these dependencies and remove them using its autocorrection feature.

If you have any questions feel free to e-mail me at tsmith@chef.io or reach out on Slack to @tas50
-Tim

1 Like