Push job error: server may be using 1.x protocol

Hi all,
I am new to Chef, following instructions at https://docs.chef.io/install_push_jobs.html to setup push jobs.

I installed the Chef push jobs client on the node using the push-jobs cookbook approach and running chef-client on the node.
next, from my workstation when i do:
knife node status node1
i get:
node1 unavailable.

I tried the following:
on the node:
i started ‘push jobs client service’ and ‘Chef Client Service’ service.
i ran : C:\opscode\push-jobs-client\bin>pushy-client
which gives me error:
ERROR: [myserver-pc] Exiting: No key returned from server; server may be using 1.x protocol. The config flag ‘allow_unencrypted’ disables encryption and allows use of 1.x server. Use with caution!

The push jobs cookbook version is the latest which is 3.2.0.
my workstation and node are windows 7 and win 2012 R2 respectively.

when executing ‘knife node list’ my node is listed and i also see the node in the chef server web interface.

kindly help.

Hi,

You will either need to downgrade the chef push-jobs client to 1.3.4 or you will need to set:
node.default[‘push_jobs’][‘allow_unencrypted’] = 'true’
in your default attributes

I suggest downgrading though since I found the push-jobs client 2 is unstable with push-jobs server 1

thanks for the reply. How do you downgrade ? Is it uninstall and then install again ?

Hi,
I went to Chef Web manage and added ‘allow_unencrypted’ as below but still getting the error. Kindly help as to what else needs to be done.

{
“tags”: [],
“push_jobs”: {
“allow_unencrypted”: “true”,
“package_url”: " https://packages.chef.io/stable/windows/2008r2/push-jobs-client-2.1.0-1-x86.msi",
“package_checksum”: “d86b37a67a12b0b91a1c25d4cdc0667721d80b74f5cd1891ff97597129b76b59”
}
}

you need to push the changes to the push-jobs client so they take effect

To downgrade you need to uninstall the current client and install the 1.3.4 one. Or depending on how you do the push-jobs client install you need to specify the version in your recipe default attributes and run the recipe on the client