Server fails to start (chef-server-0.7.2)


#1

The same installation script that worked for me previously is broken with
0.7.2

Here’s the server (showing errors): https://chef.failmode.com/

Here’s a screenshot:
http://skitch.com/mbailey/bip2e/ruby-rack-application-could-not-be-started

Any ideas?

  • Mike

#2

On 25/06/2009, at 5:15 PM, Mike Bailey mike@bailey.net.au wrote:

The same installation script that worked for me previously is broken
with 0.7.2

Here’s the server (showing errors): https://chef.failmode.com/

Here’s a screenshot: http://skitch.com/mbailey/bip2e/ruby-rack-application-could-not-be-started

Any ideas?

Are you using your own config.ru? Can you paste it in line or attach
it in a reply?

  • Mike

#3

On Thu, Jun 25, 2009 at 3:38 PM, Arjuna Christensen aj@opscode.com wrote:

On 25/06/2009, at 5:15 PM, Mike Bailey mike@bailey.net.au wrote:

The same installation script that worked for me previously is broken with
0.7.2

Here’s the server (showing errors): https://chef.failmode.com/
https://chef.failmode.com/

Here’s a screenshot:
http://skitch.com/mbailey/bip2e/ruby-rack-application-could-not-be-started
http://skitch.com/mbailey/bip2e/ruby-rack-application-could-not-be-started

Any ideas?

Are you using your own config.ru?

No. It’s the one in the gem. I used a fresh hardy image on slicehost and ran
the exact same deprec task to install that was working previously.

Can you paste it in line or attach it in a reply?

require 'rubygems’
require 'merb-core’
require ‘chef’

Chef::Config.from_file(File.join("/etc", “chef”, “server.rb”))

Merb::Config.setup(:merb_root => File.expand_path(File.dirname(FILE)),
:environment => ENV[‘RACK_ENV’], :init_file =>
File.dirname(FILE) / “config/init.rb”)
Merb.environment = Merb::Config[:environment]
Merb.root = Merb::Config[:merb_root]
Merb::BootLoader.run

Uncomment if your app is mounted at a suburi

#if prefix = ::Merb::Config[:path_prefix]

use Merb::Rack::PathPrefix, prefix

#end

run Merb::Rack::Application.new

  • Mike

#4

Hi Mike,

If you could please cd /usr/lib/ruby/1.8/gems/1.8/gems/chef-
server-0.7.2/config/enviroments

then open up production.rb

line 6,

c[:log_file] = ‘/var/log/chef/server.log’

I tried initially c[:log_file] = Chef::Config[:log_location].to_s

Also should work, I’m not sure which one is cleaner or the other.

I’m not sure if there’s a ticket open on this; however if there isn’t
there should be one.

Scott

On Jun 24, 2009, at 10:15 PM, Mike Bailey wrote:

The same installation script that worked for me previously is broken
with 0.7.2

Here’s the server (showing errors): https://chef.failmode.com/

Here’s a screenshot: http://skitch.com/mbailey/bip2e/ruby-rack-application-could-not-be-started

Any ideas?

  • Mike
    !DSPAM:4a43080773271804284693!

#5

I rebuilt the slice using intrepid and followed the instructions to the
letter but it hung on:

[Thu, 25 Jun 2009 06:17:11 +0000] INFO: Installing package[couchdb] version
0.8.0-1

I’m giving a talk on the Chef to the Melbourne Ruby group so I’ve been
trying to get it working again before then. :slight_smile:

It’s OK, I need to head out now. I have a spare chef server at home and have
setup forwarding from my router so I can demo using that tonight.

I’ll try out your change ASAP.

  • Mike

On Thu, Jun 25, 2009 at 4:16 PM, Scott Likens scott@likens.us wrote:

Hi Mike,
If you could please cd
/usr/lib/ruby/1.8/gems/1.8/gems/chef-server-0.7.2/config/enviroments

then open up production.rb

line 6,

c[:log_file] = ‘/var/log/chef/server.log’

I tried initially c[:log_file] = Chef::Config[:log_location].to_s

Also should work, I’m not sure which one is cleaner or the other.

I’m not sure if there’s a ticket open on this; however if there isn’t there
should be one.

Scott

On Jun 24, 2009, at 10:15 PM, Mike Bailey wrote:

The same installation script that worked for me previously is broken with
0.7.2

Here’s the server (showing errors): https://chef.failmode.com/

Here’s a screenshot:
http://skitch.com/mbailey/bip2e/ruby-rack-application-could-not-be-started

Any ideas?

  • Mike
    !DSPAM:4a43080773271804284693!

#6

Actually to be correct,

it should be changed to,

c[:log_stream] = Chef::Config[:log_location]

same line, proper fix

Good luck

Sincerely,

Scott M. Likens

On Jun 24, 2009, at 11:52 PM, Mike Bailey wrote:

I rebuilt the slice using intrepid and followed the instructions to
the letter but it hung on:

[Thu, 25 Jun 2009 06:17:11 +0000] INFO: Installing package[couchdb]
version 0.8.0-1

I’m giving a talk on the Chef to the Melbourne Ruby group so I’ve
been trying to get it working again before then. :slight_smile:

It’s OK, I need to head out now. I have a spare chef server at home
and have setup forwarding from my router so I can demo using that
tonight.

I’ll try out your change ASAP.

  • Mike

On Thu, Jun 25, 2009 at 4:16 PM, Scott Likens scott@likens.us wrote:
Hi Mike,

If you could please cd /usr/lib/ruby/1.8/gems/1.8/gems/chef-
server-0.7.2/config/enviroments

then open up production.rb

line 6,

c[:log_file] = ‘/var/log/chef/server.log’

I tried initially c[:log_file] = Chef::Config[:log_location].to_s

Also should work, I’m not sure which one is cleaner or the other.

I’m not sure if there’s a ticket open on this; however if there
isn’t there should be one.

Scott

On Jun 24, 2009, at 10:15 PM, Mike Bailey wrote:

The same installation script that worked for me previously is
broken with 0.7.2

Here’s the server (showing errors): https://chef.failmode.com/

Here’s a screenshot: http://skitch.com/mbailey/bip2e/ruby-rack-application-could-not-be-started

Any ideas?

  • Mike

!DSPAM:4a431eb882421804284693!