Suggested way to upgrade chef-client?


#1

Hi,

I’m wondering how one should upgrade the chef-client omnibus package.

I’m moving away from the old apt repo for version 10 and am currently
downloading the .deb files and then installing them.
Is this the (only) right way?

Thanks for your response
Steffen


#2

Omnibus-updated cookbook :slight_smile:

On Sunday, June 9, 2013, Steffen Gebert wrote:

Hi,

I’m wondering how one should upgrade the chef-client omnibus package.

I’m moving away from the old apt repo for version 10 and am currently
downloading the .deb files and then installing them.
Is this the (only) right way?

Thanks for your response
Steffen

~~ StormeRider ~~

“Every world needs its heroes […] They inspire us to be better than we
are. And they protect from the darkness that’s just around the corner.”

(from Smallville Season 6x1: “Zod”)

On why I hate the phrase “that’s so lame”… http://bit.ly/Ps3uSS


#3

http://community.opscode.com/cookbooks/omnibus_updater


Nathen Harvey

On Jun 9, 2013, at 6:43 AM, “Morgan Blackthorne” <stormerider@gmail.commailto:stormerider@gmail.com> wrote:

Omnibus-updated cookbook :slight_smile:

On Sunday, June 9, 2013, Steffen Gebert wrote:
Hi,

I’m wondering how one should upgrade the chef-client omnibus package.

I’m moving away from the old apt repo for version 10 and am currently
downloading the .deb files and then installing them.
Is this the (only) right way?

Thanks for your response
Steffen

~~ StormeRider ~~

“Every world needs its heroes […] They inspire us to be better than we are. And they protect from the darkness that’s just around the corner.”

(from Smallville Season 6x1: “Zod”)

On why I hate the phrase “that’s so lame”… http://bit.ly/Ps3uSS


#4

A disadvantage of manually downloading and installing Debian packages is
that dpkg doesn’t manage dependencies. If your system never uses apt-get,
but instead you do your own dependency management somehow, that’s arguably
a possible strategy. It was how Solaris packages were managed. But if you
do use apt-get, then manually installing some packages with dpkg throws the
model into an inconsistent state.

On Sun, Jun 9, 2013 at 1:49 AM, Steffen Gebert st+gmane@st-g.de wrote:

Hi,

I’m wondering how one should upgrade the chef-client omnibus package.

I’m moving away from the old apt repo for version 10 and am currently
downloading the .deb files and then installing them.
Is this the (only) right way?

Thanks for your response
Steffen


#5

given we are installing an omnibus installer the risk is relatively low.
Also since dpkg is transactional , you can install the unmet dependencies
with ‘apt-get -f install’ (in case dpkg bombs [which is highly unlikely
given omnibus installers package everything above glibc]). I think there
are tools like gdebi which can do ‘yum localinstall’ like stuff.

On Sun, Jun 9, 2013 at 1:02 PM, Dan Razzell danr@activestate.com wrote:

A disadvantage of manually downloading and installing Debian packages is
that dpkg doesn’t manage dependencies. If your system never uses apt-get,
but instead you do your own dependency management somehow, that’s arguably
a possible strategy. It was how Solaris packages were managed. But if you
do use apt-get, then manually installing some packages with dpkg throws the
model into an inconsistent state.

On Sun, Jun 9, 2013 at 1:49 AM, Steffen Gebert st+gmane@st-g.de wrote:

Hi,

I’m wondering how one should upgrade the chef-client omnibus package.

I’m moving away from the old apt repo for version 10 and am currently
downloading the .deb files and then installing them.
Is this the (only) right way?

Thanks for your response
Steffen


#6

I recommend downloading the omnibus package and hosting it on an internal repository, and updating to the latest when ready to do so.

Cheers,
Joshua

On Jun 9, 2013, at 2:02 PM, Dan Razzell danr@activestate.com wrote:

A disadvantage of manually downloading and installing Debian packages is that dpkg doesn’t manage dependencies. If your system never uses apt-get, but instead you do your own dependency management somehow, that’s arguably a possible strategy. It was how Solaris packages were managed. But if you do use apt-get, then manually installing some packages with dpkg throws the model into an inconsistent state.

On Sun, Jun 9, 2013 at 1:49 AM, Steffen Gebert st+gmane@st-g.de wrote:
Hi,

I’m wondering how one should upgrade the chef-client omnibus package.

I’m moving away from the old apt repo for version 10 and am currently
downloading the .deb files and then installing them.
Is this the (only) right way?

Thanks for your response
Steffen


#7

Hi all,

thanks for your response and the pointer to omnibus_updater.

Unfortunately this failed for me in the installer recipe in this line:

subscribes :create,
“remote_file[omnibus_remote[#{File.basename(remote_path)}]]”, :immediately
(some of that usual thing “cannot use nil as string” or so…).

Is it supposed to work also with an apt-repo based chef10 or do you I
need already an omnibus installation?

I already managed to upgrade about the half of our nodes with a custom
recipe that purges the old package, removes the repo, downloads the
platform-specific .deb an installs it.

Yours
Steffen

On 6/9/13 1:55 PM, Nathen Harvey wrote:

http://community.opscode.com/cookbooks/omnibus_updater


Nathen Harvey

On Jun 9, 2013, at 6:43 AM, “Morgan Blackthorne” <stormerider@gmail.commailto:stormerider@gmail.com> wrote:

Omnibus-updated cookbook :slight_smile:

On Sunday, June 9, 2013, Steffen Gebert wrote:
Hi,

I’m wondering how one should upgrade the chef-client omnibus package.

I’m moving away from the old apt repo for version 10 and am currently
downloading the .deb files and then installing them.
Is this the (only) right way?

Thanks for your response
Steffen

~~ StormeRider ~~

“Every world needs its heroes […] They inspire us to be better than we are. And they protect from the darkness that’s just around the corner.”

(from Smallville Season 6x1: “Zod”)

On why I hate the phrase “that’s so lame”… http://bit.ly/Ps3uSS


#8

This is what I did, although I did run into some funky errors that
required two chef runs with updating the package. Next time I might
choose to remove and replace the package. Not sure. I’ll probably
experiment a bit more next time before pushing out an update.

Joshua Timberman wrote:

I recommend downloading the omnibus package and hosting it on an internal repository, and updating to the latest when ready to do so.

Cheers,
Joshua

On Jun 9, 2013, at 2:02 PM, Dan Razzelldanr@activestate.com wrote:

A disadvantage of manually downloading and installing Debian packages is that dpkg doesn’t manage dependencies. If your system never uses apt-get, but instead you do your own dependency management somehow, that’s arguably a possible strategy. It was how Solaris packages were managed. But if you do use apt-get, then manually installing some packages with dpkg throws the model into an inconsistent state.

On Sun, Jun 9, 2013 at 1:49 AM, Steffen Gebertst+gmane@st-g.de wrote:
Hi,

I’m wondering how one should upgrade the chef-client omnibus package.

I’m moving away from the old apt repo for version 10 and am currently
downloading the .deb files and then installing them.
Is this the (only) right way?

Thanks for your response
Steffen