Working with vendor branches

Hi folks.

I’m wondering if there are any docs on working with Chef and vendor branches besides this thread and gist?

thread:

http://lists.opscode.com/sympa/arc/chef/2010-04/msg00083.html

gist:

I’ve tried to follow Adam’s example but I’m not seeing local changes merge properly when I run eg 'knife cookbook site vendor ’ after making changes. I assume this is due to some error on my part, but thus far I haven’t figured it out.

Thanks,

Brian

On Mar 3, 2011, at 4:15 PM, Brian Merritt wrote:

I've tried to follow Adam's example but I'm not seeing local changes merge properly when I run eg 'knife cookbook site vendor ' after making changes. I assume this is due to some error on my part, but thus far I haven't figured it out.

Make sure you are pushing/pulling all branches/tags in git. If not, you can clobber your local changes. I'm no git expert, but that works for us and we used to have the same issue.

--Brian

Just to close the loop here, my issue was a local one caused by having one of my git branches in an unhappy state. Once I resolved the issue, using vendor branches has been a breeze.

Brian

On Mar 4, 2011, at 5:40 AM, Brian Akins wrote:

On Mar 3, 2011, at 4:15 PM, Brian Merritt wrote:

I've tried to follow Adam's example but I'm not seeing local changes merge properly when I run eg 'knife cookbook site vendor ' after making changes. I assume this is due to some error on my part, but thus far I haven't figured it out.

Make sure you are pushing/pulling all branches/tags in git. If not, you can clobber your local changes. I'm no git expert, but that works for us and we used to have the same issue.

--Brian