APT Repository for Chef


#1

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA1

Ohai, Chefs!

As mentioned in our announcement of Chef packages in Ubuntu’s Karmic
Koala release, we are working on getting Chef and its dependencies in
various Debian and Ubuntu releases. We also said we would create an
APT repository, and now following distribution releases are available:

Ubuntu 9.10 "Karmic Koala"
Ubuntu 9.04 "Jaunty Jackalope"
Ubuntu 8.10 "Intrepid Ibex"
Ubuntu 8.04 (LTS) "Hardy Heron"
Debian 5 lenny/squeeze/sid (see below)
This repository will have the latest releases of Opscode software,
including Chef, Ohai and various supporting libraries. Usage
instructions after the fold.

To use this APT repository on Ubuntu systems, add to /etc/apt/
sources.list.d/opscode.list:

 deb http://apt.opscode.com/ <release> universe

Where is karmic, jaunty, intrepid or hardy. On Debian
systems, opscode.list should be:

 deb http://apt.opscode.com/ debian contrib

Then, add the Opscode APT GPG key to your keyring:

curl http://apt.opscode.com/packages@opscode.com.gpg.key \

 | sudo apt-key add -

Update your local cache and install Chef:

 sudo apt-get update

 sudo apt-get install ohai chef

For servers:

 sudo apt-get install ohai chef chef-server

See the Ubuntu Karmic announcement for notes about configuration
differences and server-specific information. We will also be updating
the Chef wiki with Debian package-based installation instructions. The
Opscode Chef cookbook will be updated soon as well. Please file a
ticket if you find issues with the deb package version of Chef - be
sure to add “Deb Packages” as a component.

Dependencies
We packaged Chef dependencies that aren’t available for specific
releases and hosted them on the repository so the full stack can be
installed for clients or servers. The packages were built using
Sbuild, using the source packages directly from Debian or Ubuntu where
applicable. See the package list for each distribution release for the
packages included.

See the announcement on our blog: http://bit.ly/aptopscode


Opscode, Inc
Joshua Timberman, Senior Solutions Engineer
C: 720.878.4322 E: joshua@opscode.com

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v1.4.9 (Darwin)

iEYEARECAAYFAkqevQEACgkQO97WSdVpzT2XvQCfd632xrRF1KcSKB1VkLqr1JNo
z/8AoI1sWZsGXTrAIduMAHlkCakIryIh
=Hllv
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----


#2

YES! I’m looking forward to testing this out tomorrow!

Cheers guys!


$ echo “kpfmAdpoofdufevq/dp/vl” | perl -pe ‘s/(.)/chr(ord($1)-1)/ge’


#3

Wow! Chef just gets better and better.

On Wed, Sep 2, 2009 at 2:44 PM, Joshua Timbermanjoshua@opscode.com wrote:

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA1

Ohai, Chefs!

As mentioned in our announcement of Chef packages in Ubuntu’s Karmic Koala
release, we are working on getting Chef and its dependencies in various
Debian and Ubuntu releases. We also said we would create an APT repository,
and now following distribution releases are available:

Ubuntu 9.10 "Karmic Koala"
Ubuntu 9.04 "Jaunty Jackalope"
Ubuntu 8.10 "Intrepid Ibex"
Ubuntu 8.04 (LTS) "Hardy Heron"
Debian 5 lenny/squeeze/sid (see below)
This repository will have the latest releases of Opscode software, including
Chef, Ohai and various supporting libraries. Usage instructions after the
fold.

To use this APT repository on Ubuntu systems, add to
/etc/apt/sources.list.d/opscode.list:

deb http://apt.opscode.com/ universe
Where is karmic, jaunty, intrepid or hardy. On Debian systems,
opscode.list should be:

deb http://apt.opscode.com/ debian contrib

Then, add the Opscode APT GPG key to your keyring:

curl http://apt.opscode.com/packages@opscode.com.gpg.key \

| sudo apt-key add -

Update your local cache and install Chef:

sudo apt-get update

sudo apt-get install ohai chef

For servers:

sudo apt-get install ohai chef chef-server

See the Ubuntu Karmic announcement for notes about configuration differences
and server-specific information. We will also be updating the Chef wiki with
Debian package-based installation instructions. The Opscode Chef cookbook
will be updated soon as well. Please file a ticket if you find issues with
the deb package version of Chef - be sure to add “Deb Packages” as a
component.

Dependencies
We packaged Chef dependencies that aren’t available for specific releases
and hosted them on the repository so the full stack can be installed for
clients or servers. The packages were built using Sbuild, using the source
packages directly from Debian or Ubuntu where applicable. See the package
list for each distribution release for the packages included.

See the announcement on our blog: http://bit.ly/aptopscode


Opscode, Inc
Joshua Timberman, Senior Solutions Engineer
C: 720.878.4322 E: joshua@opscode.com

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v1.4.9 (Darwin)

iEYEARECAAYFAkqevQEACgkQO97WSdVpzT2XvQCfd632xrRF1KcSKB1VkLqr1JNo
z/8AoI1sWZsGXTrAIduMAHlkCakIryIh
=Hllv
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----


#4

On Thu, Sep 3, 2009 at 2:33 PM, Michael Halemikehale@gmail.com wrote:

Wow! Chef just gets better and better.

I’ve just tested within a couple of VM’s and everything is working
like a charm so far.

Very pleased, thanks for the effort devs!


$ echo “kpfmAdpoofdufevq/dp/vl” | perl -pe ‘s/(.)/chr(ord($1)-1)/ge’


#5

Could I suggest that for a more Debianised way of doing things, add
the start-up options to /etc/default/chef-{client|server}, rather than
the init script.

Cheers

On Thu, Sep 3, 2009 at 2:46 PM, Joel Merrickjoel.merrick@gmail.com wrote:

On Thu, Sep 3, 2009 at 2:33 PM, Michael Halemikehale@gmail.com wrote:

Wow! Chef just gets better and better.

I’ve just tested within a couple of VM’s and everything is working
like a charm so far.

Very pleased, thanks for the effort devs!


$ echo “kpfmAdpoofdufevq/dp/vl” | perl -pe ‘s/(.)/chr(ord($1)-1)/ge’


$ echo “kpfmAdpoofdufevq/dp/vl” | perl -pe ‘s/(.)/chr(ord($1)-1)/ge’


#6

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA1

On Sep 3, 2009, at 8:29 AM, Joel Merrick wrote:

Could I suggest that for a more Debianised way of doing things, add
the start-up options to /etc/default/chef-{client|server}, rather than
the init script.

Absolutely!

http://tickets.opscode.com/browse/CHEF-527


Opscode, Inc
Joshua Timberman, Senior Solutions Engineer
C: 720.878.4322 E: joshua@opscode.com

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v1.4.9 (Darwin)

iEYEARECAAYFAkqf1y8ACgkQO97WSdVpzT0CaACfR5On6hfgg12R/VcNnjValQni
6MgAnRn5DvHcX0V+kmC0+PrOYwg5r9zM
=ZZuD
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----