Chef-client not recognized on Windows node

I found my problem (in previous post) and I’m able to bootstrap the windows node, but I get this during the bootstrap, when it’s trying to run the empty run list?

Mynode.domain.com Finished waiting for Chef Client package to install.
Mynode.domain.com Installation completed successfully
Mynode.domain.com ‘chef-client’ is not recognized as an internal or external command,
Mynode.domain.com operable program or batch file.
Mynode.domain.com Writing validation key…

Thanks!

Chris

That error suggests chef-client didn’t install for some reason (even though it says it has). Are you behind a proxy at all?

We’re behind a proxy and see this when we don’t use --bootstrap-proxy as part of the bootstrap command. If you can get more verbose logs, have a look to see if the chef-client did actually download.

To confirm if it did install, log on to the server and run chef-client -v from a command line.

Thanks
Tom

Sent: 13 November 2014 00:45
To: chef@lists.opscode.com
Subject: [chef] chef-client not recognized on Windows node

I found my problem (in previous post) and I’m able to bootstrap the windows node, but I get this during the bootstrap, when it’s trying to run the empty run list?

Mynode.domain.com ‘chef-client’ is not recognized as an internal or external command,

Thanks!

Chris

HBVB trading as Bauer Corporate Services (BCS) is a division of the Bauer Media
Group the largest consumer publisher in the UK, and second largest commercial
radio broadcaster. BCS provides financial services and manages and develops IT
systems on which our UK publishing, broadcast, digital and partner businesses depend.

The information in this email is intended only for the addressee(s) named above.
Access to this email by anyone else is unauthorised. If you are not the intended
recipient of this message any disclosure, copying, distribution or any action
taken in reliance on it is prohibited and may be unlawful. HBVB do not warrant that
any attachments are free from viruses or other defects and accept no liability for
any losses resulting from infected email transmissions.

Please note that any views expressed in this email may be those of the originator
and do not necessarily reflect those of this organisation.

HBVB is registered in England; Registered address is
1 Lincoln Court, Lincoln Road, Peterborough, PE1 2RF.

Registration number 8453545

Thanks Tom, you’re correct. The node’s Ethernet DNS entry was wrong, so it had no internet access and hence can not download the chef-client-*.msi file

Thanks
Chris

From: Deprez, Tom [mailto:tom.deprez@bauerservices.co.uk]
Sent: Thursday, November 13, 2014 4:26 AM
To: chef@lists.opscode.com
Subject: [chef] RE: chef-client not recognized on Windows node

That error suggests chef-client didn’t install for some reason (even though it says it has). Are you behind a proxy at all?

We’re behind a proxy and see this when we don’t use --bootstrap-proxy as part of the bootstrap command. If you can get more verbose logs, have a look to see if the chef-client did actually download.

To confirm if it did install, log on to the server and run chef-client –v from a command line.

Thanks
Tom

Sent: 13 November 2014 00:45
To: chef@lists.opscode.commailto:chef@lists.opscode.com
Subject: [chef] chef-client not recognized on Windows node

Thanks!

Chris

HBVB trading as Bauer Corporate Services (BCS) is a division of the Bauer Media
Group the largest consumer publisher in the UK, and second largest commercial
radio broadcaster. BCS provides financial services and manages and develops IT
systems on which our UK publishing, broadcast, digital and partner businesses depend.

The information in this email is intended only for the addressee(s) named above.
Access to this email by anyone else is unauthorised. If you are not the intended
recipient of this message any disclosure, copying, distribution or any action
taken in reliance on it is prohibited and may be unlawful. HBVB do not warrant that
any attachments are free from viruses or other defects and accept no liability for
any losses resulting from infected email transmissions.

Please note that any views expressed in this email may be those of the originator
and do not necessarily reflect those of this organisation.

HBVB is registered in England; Registered address is
1 Lincoln Court, Lincoln Road, Peterborough, PE1 2RF.

Registration number 8453545