Key not found when trying to upgrade chef-backend cluster

I'm trying to upgrade from 1.x to 2.x, and follow the steps here High Availability: Upgrade to Chef Backend 2
But step #5 is failing on me. What does the error means?

1. Initiate the upgrade on the follower nodes first:
    chef-backend-ctl upgrade

~# chef-backend-ctl upgrade --failover
    An unexpected error occurred:
    Key not found
    For more information run the command with the --verbose flag.

~# chef-backend-ctl upgrade --verbose
An unexpected error occurred:
Key not found
/opt/chef-backend/embedded/lib/ruby/gems/2.3.0/gems/etcd-0.3.0/lib/etcd/client.rb:141:in process_http_request' /opt/chef-backend/embedded/lib/ruby/gems/2.3.0/gems/etcd-0.3.0/lib/etcd/client.rb:114:in api_execute'
/opt/chef-backend/embedded/lib/ruby/gems/2.3.0/gems/etcd-0.3.0/lib/etcd/keys.rb:22:in get' /opt/chef-backend/embedded/lib/ruby/gems/2.3.0/gems/libcb-0.1.0/lib/libcb/connectors/etcd_connector.rb:250:in block in leaderl_leader'
/opt/chef-backend/embedded/lib/ruby/gems/2.3.0/gems/libcb-0.1.0/lib/libcb/connectors/etcd_connector.rb:284:in block in with_connection' /opt/chef-backend/embedded/lib/ruby/2.3.0/timeout.rb:74:in timeout'
/opt/chef-backend/embedded/lib/ruby/gems/2.3.0/gems/libcb-0.1.0/lib/libcb/connectors/etcd_connector.rb:282:in with_connection' /opt/chef-backend/embedded/lib/ruby/gems/2.3.0/gems/libcb-0.1.0/lib/libcb/connectors/etcd_connector.rb:249:in leaderl_leader'
/opt/chef-backend/embedded/lib/ruby/gems/2.3.0/gems/libcb-0.1.0/lib/libcb/cluster.rb:60:in cluster_leader' /opt/chef-backend/embedded/lib/ruby/gems/2.3.0/gems/libcb-0.1.0/lib/libcb/upgraders/rolling.rb:16:in refresh_state'
/opt/chef-backend/embedded/lib/ruby/gems/2.3.0/gems/libcb-0.1.0/lib/libcb/upgrader.rb:36:in upgrade' /opt/chef-backend/embedded/lib/ruby/gems/2.3.0/gems/libcb-0.1.0/lib/libcb/command/upgrade.rb:65:in run'
/opt/chef-backend/embedded/lib/ruby/gems/2.3.0/gems/libcb-0.1.0/lib/libcb/ctl.rb:354:in run_with_pretty_errors' /opt/chef-backend/embedded/lib/ruby/gems/2.3.0/gems/libcb-0.1.0/lib/libcb/ctl.rb:335:in run_subcommand'
/opt/chef-backend/embedded/lib/ruby/gems/2.3.0/gems/libcb-0.1.0/lib/libcb/ctl.rb:268:in run' /opt/chef-backend/embedded/lib/ruby/gems/2.3.0/gems/libcb-0.1.0/bin/chef-backend-ctl:15:in <top (required)>'
/usr/bin/chef-backend-ctl:30:in load' /usr/bin/chef-backend-ctl:30:in '

Hi Rex,

My apologies that no one responded to this sooner. It appears that you were following the 1.x to 1.x upgrade instructions rather than the 1.x to 2.x upgrade instructions.

Given the time since your post, I’ll refrain from any specific advice since I’m guessing the situation has changed. If you are still having trouble trying to upgrade, please contact Chef Support and we can help sort it out.

Cheers,

Steven