benny Vasquez shared
@damacus will be doing a live stream next Tuesday on twitch! He’s going to talk about some of the work he’s been doing around documenting custom resources. If you’re curious, join us on twitch:
- 2pm BST / 9am EST Twitch
- One of my goals this year is to reduce the barrier to entry for new developers. Serendipitously, Progress also wanted us to cut back the Code of Conduct a whole lot. I’ve got a pull request in with some pretty massive changes on the book of open source. If you have an interest in the changes, feel free to take a look and comment with any concerns or questions: Code of conduct, many other updates. by bennyvasquez · Pull Request #335 · chef/chef-oss-practices · GitHub
Two webinars coming up that you’ll want to sign up for (I know, I know, I’m working on reducing the number of boxes you need to fill out, I promise)
- June 9, 9:30 am Pacific / 12:30 PM eastern / 5:30p BST time @Xorima will be talking about cookbooks and such Automated Cookbook Testing with GitHub Actions - Webinar | Chef
- June 16th at 9am Pacific / 12pm eastern / 5pm BST, we’ll have another product roadmap update from some new faces: Product Roadmap Community Updates - June - Webinar | Chef
benny Vasquez shared
Automate got an update this week that included some UI improvements for data bags, as well as updates to compliance profiles. https://discourse.chef.io/t/automate-2-version-20210526024943-released/19942
benny Vasquez shared
Workstation got an update last week that included upgrades for Chef Infra Client (17.0 to 17.1), Chef InSpec (from 4.36.4 to 4.37.20), Chef Habitat CLI (from 1.6.288 to 1.6.319), Chef CLI (updated to 5.1), Knife CLI (from 17.0 to 17.2), and Cookstyle (from 7.10 to 7.13).
And then yesterday got another update that fixed some knife-related regressions. https://discourse.chef.io/t/chef-workstation-21-6-467-released/19945
Ankur Mundhra shared
Updates for Automate include:
Node view in Infra Server view:
- See and edit run list for a given node
- Manage and update tags for either a given node or nodes specific to given environment
- Ability to reset node key for specific node
- Improved test cases for environments and node objects
- Easier way to find data bag using the search bar for data bags object
- New and updated compliance profiles: STIG windows 2016, STIG windows server 2019, CIS SLES, CIS MongoDB, CIS Windows 10 2004, CIS MSSQL server 2019
- Fixed a bug on capitalization of cookbook constraints for environment object
- Documentation of node views
This week we have been working on:
- Builder Notifications
- Core-plans team onboarding
- Continued work on core-plans refresh
Chef Infra Client
here's Infra Client for this week
- Added a new
- Fixed 2 knife bugs and did a release. This went into Chef Workstation that shipped yesterday
- Updated yaml support to work with both .yml and .yaml files
- PR created in knife-azure to nuke the legacy ASM API based commands (10k lines of code)
- Fixing reporting in Infra Client to not send attributes that have been blocked with the block list feature
- Continuing work bringing all the habitat resources into the client
- Converting windows_pagefile to use more modern OS calls
There's a Test Kitchen PR for the new slow report flag which makes it so you can test Chef Infra execution performance in Test Kitchen https://github.com/test-kitchen/test-kitchen/pull/1759
Chef Infra Server
Hellooo folks!This week has been a couple of rounds of dependency updates and some doc updates.
We completed the testing for upgrade from Postgres 9.6 to Postgres 12.5 with minimal data via omnibus. Testing underway to identify the requirements and impact for this migration.
Working on fixing the failing test for Infra Server in Automate, post this fix we will be able to upgrade Chef Infra Server from 14.1 to the latest stable release.That is all for us for this week. Take care!
The Chef InSpec team is working on:
- Began creating resources for Sybase database
- Improving error handling for database resources when the database is not connected
- Working on a SSH agent key issue with kitchen-inspec
- Started looking at making a resource to represent MSSQL configuration
Nikhil Gupta shared
- Workstation has been promoted with 2 of the knife fixes
- Simplify and Improve the Shell Init
- Publishing the macOS builds for the M1 macs
- Implementing some of the basic GO concepts learning and working on some of the mini projects.
- Building GO knowledge to work on the upcoming GO features and the test cases.
Hello from Sous Chefs!
As some of you may have noticed, there were a lot of patch releases of various cookbooks in the past week. Most of those were related to a fix to how we run CI on the systems. Some of the releases also include Cookstyle fixes.Aside from those releases, a few other notable released include:
- golang - 5.1.0: - Fix resource to use the correct path in GOPATH profile.d template
Hello from the Cinc Project!
- Released 21.5.462 and 21.6.467 via the unstable channel
- Still working on testing failures with 14.4.4 build on RHEL before releasing