This week’s releases
benny Vasquez shared
Automate had an update just a few days ago: https://discourse.chef.io/t/automate-2-version-20201020140427-released/17919
benny Vasquez shared
Last week Cookstyle 7.1 went out with two new Chef cops, and 1 for ruby: https://discourse.chef.io/t/cookstyle-7-1-released-with-2-new-chef-cops/17915
Fauxhai 8.4 is out for mocking of Ohai data in ChefSpecNew Platforms
- CentOS 7.8
- Red Hat 7.8
- Add openSUSE 15.2
- Ubuntu 16.04 - 20.04
- Debian 9 & 10 releases
- Red Hat 7 and 8 releases
- openSUSE 15.1
- Fedora 31/32
- Amazon releases
We had 2 minor released of kitchen-vagrant that improve box updating and pruning config options. Now if you specify that a box should be updated on each run, things won't fail if the box doesn't exist on the system to start with. Similarly if a box needs to be pruned, but is being used by another Test Kitchen converge, then we won't fail anymore.
Alex Pop shared
Greetings from the Automate team!
- Backed and UI changed merged yesterday in master for the last 24h compliance reporting improvements.
- Improving the dev documentation for Automate as we welcome new engineering resources from Progress.
- Continuing to work on the ElasticSearch 7 upgrade.
Chef Infra Client
- chef_client_config updates to generate valid configs
- updates to the mount resource to improve idempotency
- zypper_package idempotency improvements
- prepping for the release once we resolve an AIX test failure
- improvements to shelling out on windows to respect the user's environment variables when specifying a user
Ahoy from the wild world of InSpec!
I am pleased to report that @Darren is onboarding swimmingly into InSpec world.
No massive changes in the world of releases, but in the next release we have fixed a bug that was causing Ruby 2.4 to complain on InSpec.
However, Ruby 2.4 was EOL’d in March and there are no more patches, security releases or activity going against that release. If you are still sitting on Ruby 2.4, you should classify that as a high-priority risk that you ought to address now. ruby-lang.org-announcement
As our workload to try and support this old version of Ruby grows, we have fast-tracked work to remove Ruby 2.4 support from InSpec. If you have strong feelings about this move feel free to join the conversation (or about anything, really) at the repo! https://github.com/inspec/inspec/issues/5067
benny Vasquez shared
Workstation is working getting the next release out, onboarding new team members, and support for the Rollouts feature.
Hello from Sous Chefs!
pyenv 3.4.0 has been released:
- Add :upgrade action to the pyenv_pip resource
perl 7.1.0 has been released:
- Sous Chefs Adoption
- Update to use Sous Chefs GH workflow
- Fix FreeBSD installation
- Add Ubuntu 20.04 testing
- Remove EL 6 testing
- Remove Amazon Linux 1 testing
docker 7.2.2 has been released:
- Remove creates guard for extracting tarball which prevents upgrades
yum-mysql-community 4.2.1 has been released:
- Insure dnf module is only disabled where required
filesystem 3.0.3 has been released:
- resolved cookstyle error: resources/default.rb:118:35 convention: Style/RedundantCondition
- fix the check for an existing mountable filesystem before running mkfs again
Here's a list of current in progress PRs from the last week:
- php: fix: Prevent Apache from being pulled in as a dep on Ubuntu 20.04 #312
- transmission: (draft) Sous Chefs Adoption #33
- postgresql: [GH-670] Use system default locale when creating databases #671
- djbdns: Sous Chefs Adoption #37
- control_groups: Properly reference the ControlGroups module #50
- nginx: Refactor to remove the nxensite/nxdissite scripts Refactor to remove the nxensite/nxdissite scripts
- mongodb: [GH-272] restore explicit resource names [GH-272] restore explicit resource names
Not a lot of updates but I do have one update that's hot off the press as of about 10 minutes ago:
- New builds for s390x on EL8 and now EL7Cinc Auditor:
- New builds for s390x on EL8 and EL7
Just a heads up that RHEL 6 is currently going EOL so expect to see that drop off many of the products soon
Also if you're a fan of 10 year EOL solaris derivative platforms you're gonna have a bad time because we removed detection of OpenSolaris and NexentaCore from Ohai and Solaris 10 from chef itself