Re: Re: Re: Re: RE: RE: knife winrm roles

If I run the following search, I get the expected servers returned:
knife search node role:GIS
solr.log:
Apr 2, 2012 8:57:12 AM org.apache.solr.core.SolrCore execute
INFO: [] webapp=/solr path=/select params={sort=&indent=off&start=0&q=content:role__%3D__GIS&wt=json&fq=%2BX_CHEF_type_CHEF_X:node+%2BX_CHEF_database_CHEF_X:chef&rows=1000} hits=3 status=0 QTime=3

If I run the following winrm search, I do not get the expected server returned:
knife winrm role:GIS ipconfig -x [localadmin] -P [password] -V -V
solr.log:
Apr 2, 2012 8:59:09 AM org.apache.solr.core.SolrCore execute
INFO: [] webapp=/solr path=/select params={sort=X_CHEF_id_CHEF_X+asc&indent=off&start=0&q=content:role__%3D__GIS&wt=json&fq=%2BX_CHEF_type_CHEF_X:node+%2BX_CHEF_database_CHEF_X:chef&rows=1000} hits=3 status=0 QTime=2

They both get three hits but winrm returns saying no nodes returned from search. Why doesn’t winrm think there are nodes when chef-expander is returning three hits?

The only difference in the solr.log is that when done through winrm sort has a value and doesn’t in the search. I have changed the solrconfig.xml in /var/lib/chef/solr/conf/solrconfig.xml and /etc/solr/conf/solrconfig.xml just for good measure and I restarted chef-solr and chef-expander and did a knife index rebuild, but still it didn’t work. I was not able to figure out how to grep for the data of chef-expander. Can someone tell me what file I would grep through for the chef-expander data as the defect CHEF-2346 says?

Thanks,
Will

I believe that the chef-expander log is actually in the solr.log file since everytime I do a search with winrm it shows up in that log. Tailing it I saw that when I run the command with role:GIS I get 3 hits which is the expected result but the result returned to me is no nodes returned from search.

Mar 30, 2012 3:13:39 PM org.apache.solr.core.SolrCore execute
INFO: [] webapp=/solr path=/select params={sort=X_CHEF_id_CHEF_X+asc&indent=off&start=0&q=content:role__%3D__GIS&wt=json&fq=%2BX_CHEF_type_CHEF_X:node+%2BX_CHEF_database_CHEF_X:chef&rows=1000} hits=3 status=0 QTime=2

Thank you for the help. I am new to this and can’t really tell what is going on. My maxFieldLength in /var/lib/chef/solr/conf/solrconfig.xml is 100,000,000 so I am probably not hitting that defect. Just to make sure I rebuilt the index and still was not able to find the servers with winrm.

Checkout
http://tickets.opscode.com/browse/CHEF-2346

Very likely that some information from your windows servers is not being indexed due to this bug.

On Mar 30, 2012, at 8:54 AM, “Soula, William” <wsoula@mobicorp.commailto:wsoula@mobicorp.com> wrote:

I have figured out a way to get some kinda search results back from winrm. If I enter r*:dev* then it returns me some servers and says failed to authenticate to [“r*:dev*”] but if I enter role:dev* then nothing is returned. What is r* expanding to if it isn’t role? How can I better debug this problem? I am already using -V -V to get the most verbose logging.

Title: Re: knife winrm roles
Yeah I noticed that -m was prob not what I wanted but without the -m it says no node returned from search. Also I apologize if several copies of this problem have been emailed to the mailing list, my company hasn’t been recieving outbound emails today/last afternoon.

Title: knife winrm roles
-m says that the query is a manual list not a query…

So in your example below is trying to connect to a server named role:mobi.GIS

If you want it to execute a query for the servers to run against, simply leave out the -m…

I will update the WIKI

P
On Thu, 2012-03-29 at 13:38 -0700, Soula, William wrote:
This page:
http://wiki.opscode.com/display/chef/Knife+Windows+Bootstrap

Says this:
The winrm subcommand allows you to invoke commands in parallel on a subset of the nodes in your infrastructure. The winrm subcommand uses the same syntax as the search subcommandhttp://wiki.opscode.com/display/chef/Search; you could could find the uptime of all your web servers using the command:

% knife winrm “role:web” “net stats srv” -m -x Administrator -P ‘super_secret_password’

But when I run this in dos:
C:\SVN\Core\tool-chef-repo>knife winrm “role:mobi.GIS” “ipconfig” -m -x [localadmin] -P [password]

I get this error:
ERROR: URI::InvalidURIError: the scheme http does not accept registry part: role:mobi.GIS:5985 (or bad hostname?)

But this command works:
C:\SVN\Core\tool-chef-repo>knife search node role:mobi.GIS

Any ideas why the winrm command for me is not searching like the search command?

Will

Hi,

They both get three hits but winrm returns saying no nodes returned from

search. Why doesn't winrm think there are nodes when chef-expander is
returning three hits?

Can you confirm that these nodes have the fqdn attribute set (using knife
node show)?

Cheers,

Steve