Checking the option to install chef-server-webui in Chef server 12


#1

Hello,

One question, is it possible to adapt the web UI from Chef 11 to Chef
12 adding the information about the organization?

For example by adding a config parameter with the default organization
as it can be defined in the Chef server?

Cheers!

Carlos,


#2

On Sep 9, 2015, at 11:39 AM, Carlos Camacho carlos.camacho@frontiersin.org wrote:

Hello,

One question, is it possible to adapt the web UI from Chef 11 to Chef
12 adding the information about the organization?

For example by adding a config parameter with the default organization
as it can be defined in the Chef server?

It could be converted but it would take some actual Rails code changes to make it work with the new auth APIs. AFAIK no one has done this so far and the few people that know the codebase well enough to do it cleanly aren’t interested in doing it for free.

–Noah


#3

Mmm, that can work for me.

Just want to know which are the differences between both apps (Web UI
in Chef 11 and Chef 12) so I can fork and make the changes.

For now:

  • Support for organizations.
  • New Auth API

Cheers,

On Wed, Sep 9, 2015 at 8:43 PM, Noah Kantrowitz noah@coderanger.net wrote:

On Sep 9, 2015, at 11:39 AM, Carlos Camacho carlos.camacho@frontiersin.org wrote:

Hello,

One question, is it possible to adapt the web UI from Chef 11 to Chef
12 adding the information about the organization?

For example by adding a config parameter with the default organization
as it can be defined in the Chef server?

It could be converted but it would take some actual Rails code changes to make it work with the new auth APIs. AFAIK no one has done this so far and the few people that know the codebase well enough to do it cleanly aren’t interested in doing it for free.

–Noah


#4

The Chef Manage code is unrelated to chef-webui, was a from scratch rewrite. As I said, no one that knows the chef-webui is particularly inclined to help with this for free given the amount of work involved. Feel free to post a bounty for it or try to arrange for some consulting time with Chef Software.

–Noah

On Sep 9, 2015, at 12:27 PM, Carlos Camacho carlos.camacho@frontiersin.org wrote:

Mmm, that can work for me.

Just want to know which are the differences between both apps (Web UI
in Chef 11 and Chef 12) so I can fork and make the changes.

For now:

  • Support for organizations.
  • New Auth API

Cheers,

On Wed, Sep 9, 2015 at 8:43 PM, Noah Kantrowitz noah@coderanger.net wrote:

On Sep 9, 2015, at 11:39 AM, Carlos Camacho carlos.camacho@frontiersin.org wrote:

Hello,

One question, is it possible to adapt the web UI from Chef 11 to Chef
12 adding the information about the organization?

For example by adding a config parameter with the default organization
as it can be defined in the Chef server?

It could be converted but it would take some actual Rails code changes to make it work with the new auth APIs. AFAIK no one has done this so far and the few people that know the codebase well enough to do it cleanly aren’t interested in doing it for free.

–Noah