We have a new release of Chef Backend for you that includes a number of performance tuning options and stability improvements. These improvements will help reduce the number of fail-over events in your environment that may occur due to transient network issues. All users of 1.1.2 and prior are encouraged to upgrade. You may find it at https://downloads.chef.io/chef-backend .
Along with our new features, we have a number of tunable options. These flags are documented in detail in our docs page at https://docs.chef.io/install_server_ha.html
Followers will now fail if it falls too far behind leader.
Health Checks can now fail up to a configurable number of times before triggering a failover.
Etcd election reliability was increased and you have new configuration options to tweak it.
We have also added a --force-basebackup to the pgsql-follow command. This allows for a more straightforward recovery procedure in cases where human intervention is needed.
We have also changed the default values of a few options:
- postgresql.shmmax and postgresql.shmall are no longer needed because we have upgraded to PostgreSQL 9.5
- leaderl.health_check.interval_seconds from 2 to 5 seconds.
- leaderl.leaderl_ttl_seconds from 10 to 30.
- etcd.heartbeat_interval from 100 to 500 milliseconds.
- etcd.election_timeout from 1000 to 5000 milliseconds.