Let’s kick things off with some save-the-dates for your educational viewing pleasure:
ICYMI, I had the pleasure of chatting live with the Habitat team yesterday for another Habitat Office Hours session. Check out the playback on YouTube!
May 4th- Chef Infra 18 Sneak Peek
Automate version 3.0.49 Released! This release contains a host of Security improvements, bug fixes and compliance profile updates.
Chef InSpec 5.14.0 Released! Cookstyle checks for
inspec-check are now optional with this release.
Kallol Roy shared
Here are this week’s highlight:
- Milestone version of Automate (3.0.49) has been released. Users will have to manually upgrade to the next major version.
- The look and feel of the Check-In history in node details on desktop dashboard is released.
- The opt-in telemetry for the Profiles search and the different sections of Settings tab is released.
- The compliance profiles are updated to version 1.0.0/20220422141333 with the release and update of a number of profiles
- A bug fix is released to fix download of 0-byte compliance reports in Chrome/Edge browsers.
- A bug fix is released to show check-in time of nodes in Infra-Server views.
- All the HTTPS endpoints in Automate services now returns Strict Transport Security header
- Chef Inspec is updated to version 4.56.22 which fixes upload of custom profiles into Automate.
- Dev work is in progress to migrate from ElasticSearch to OpenSearch.
- Testing is in progress to the new improvements of Infra Server migration workflow.
- Dev work going on to improve Compliance reporting APIs
- Dev work going on to enable Account Lockout for multiple failed logins
- Dev work is in progress to improve secrets handling of ES/OS credentials
Hello from Habitat!
This week's updates:
- Making progress on next core-plans refresh
- Investigating build order of core plan refresh
- Investigating a way to scan packages for CVEs
- Investigating supervisor strategies for ARM
- Investigating awol builder workers
- Expand on-prem installer to allow splitting minio and postgres
Chef Infra Client
Neha Pansare shared
Hi All, here are updates from Chef Infra Client team:
- We continued our work on Ruby 3.1 support.
- We are woking on releasing and fixing some pipeline issues for Chef-16 release which will
- Improve Infra Client run time by reducing execution duration. (
- Fix rendering of
ohai_optional_pluginsproperties in the
- Extend EOL to November 30, 2022 from April 30, 2022
This release will be available today in some time!
Chef Infra Server
Lincoln Baker shared
Hello! Here are some highlights from our ongoing server work:
- Upgrading to Erlang 25
- Adding support for Opensearch
- Investigating Bifrost database growth
- API design for server side secrets
- Adding missing server documentation
Chef InSpec Team update:
- Major progress on parallel execution - unix forking code in place, child status updating working, working on Windows "forking" code now, ERB templating of option file, and using option file as a script all working
- Enhanced file resource, new ZFS resource, enhanced processes resource, worked on php_config resource
- Started on telemetry v3
- Major progress on the initiative to sign profiles - new binary format (two iterations later), direct execution of signed profiles, and renaming command from
Kasif Adnan shared
Hi All! Here is what Workstation & Community Tools are working on
- PR to automate e2e test for kitchen-ec2 plugin is ready
- Updating test-kitchen CI to use GitHub actions
- UX preparing wireframes for smoother install/ setup experience
- Update several repos to support Ruby 3.1 in tandem with Chef Infra Client (almost there...
Hello from the Sous Chefs!
Here's the list of new releases in the past week:
java - 11.1.0
Remove Correto 15 and 16
Add Corretto 17 and 18
Change the default download URL for Corretto to the versioned resources URL, rather than latest
lvm - 6.0.0
Standardise files with files in sous-chefs/repo-management
Gemfileand the community cookbook releaser
Always turn on
unified_modeso we get consistent behaviour
Require Chef 15.3 for
nodejs - 10.0.0
Update to NodeJS 17.x
Remove delivery and move to calling RSpec directly via a reusable workflow
Update tested platforms
Disable upstream DNF module on EL8 based systems
redisio - 6.2.1
Hello from the Cinc Project!
- Released 5.14.0
Migrated all x86/aarch64/ppc64le gitlab runners to OSUOSL managed bare-metal runners
Created Ubuntu 22.04 Omnibus docker image for x86/aarch64
Working on adding Ubuntu 22.04 builds for Auditor, Client, Workstation and Server
Created RHEL7/8 Omnibus docker image for s390x
Added s390x gitlab runners to Auditor and Client (I no longer need to build these manually, yay!)
Started looking into Amazon Linux 2022 builders but ran into some issues (likely similar to what upstream has)