Let’s kick things off with some updates from DevRel:
ICYMI the InSpec team and I went LIVE for another office hours session on Tuesday. Check out the replay on YouTube
March 30th - Desktop Codify Your Fleet Instead! Are Scripts Slowing Down System Admins? Codify Your Fleet Instead! - Webinar | Chef
April 7th- Chef Infra Best Practices Infra Tagging Best Practices - Webinar | Chef
April 14th- Chef InSpec Best Practices
April 21st- Chef InSpec Best Practices
April 28th- Cloud Cookbook
Automate 2 version 20220322122400 Released! This release contains a few improvements including improved telemetry coverage for Chef Infra Server Policy Files and Policy Groups under Infrastructure
Chef Habitat 1.6.477 Released! This release fixes an issue where the supervisor failed to run in a docker studio on Mac M1 hardware, among other things.
Chef Infra Client
Chef Infra Client 17.10.0 Released! With this release the chef_client_config resource will now create directories defined in the properties if they don’t exist. There are also a few bug fixes and Security updates.
Chef InSpec 4.56.19 Released! This release fixes
postgres_session resource to allow query errors to be tested rather than treated as control failures, among other things.
Cool new features added with this release, including adding linux container resource
Ankur Mundhra shared
This week the team worked on:
- Telemetry coverage for policy files and policy groups in Infra Server views
- Improved performance of system with externally connected databases
- Changes in Automate CLI to support major version upgrade is done
- Working on user migration for Manage EOL initiatives
- Four customers have completed the early adopter program of Automate HA
Hello from Habitat!
This week's updates:
- JUST released Habitat 1.6.477
- Making progress on next core-plans refresh
- Working on auto bumping core plan versions
- Investigating build order of core plan refresh
- Investigating supervisor functional tests
- Investigating orphaned builds on builder
- Documenting how to use Azure postgres for on-prem builder
- Working to add better validation of "hab sup run" args when not including a package to run
Chef Infra Client
John McCrae shared
Hey Kiah! Good Morning everyone, from the Chef Infra team. We had a busy week.
- We released Chef Client 17.10.0 that included the fixes for the yum related issues
- Preview - completing work on being able to substitute a client.pem for a certificate in the Certificate Store - Windows only currently
- Completing Ruby 3.1 testing on the verify pipeline
- Improvements to Buildkite and Expeditor build tools this week to improve build confidence
- Continuing the process of upgrading Ruby to 3.1 across Chef Infra Client
Chef Infra Server
Lincoln Baker shared
Hello from Infra Server.
Upgrading Erlang OTP to 24.x
Upgrading PostgreSQL to 13.6.
Upgrading AWS sigv2 to sigv4 (under review).
Migrating to Opensearch.
Upgrading Perl to 5.34.
Opscode wordmark replacements.
log4j library cleanup.
Dependency updates: openssl and ca-certificates
Fixing API clients endpoint issue.
Chef InSpec Team has been working on:
- Fixing a bug with the command_timeout option and sudo
- fixed an issue with empty query output and
postgres_sessionfixed an issue with empty query output and
oracledb_sessionAdded a have_volume matcher to the
docker_imageresourceAdded low-level inspection options to the
- Started work on a local parallel mode (forking multi-target) for inspec exec
- Released 4.56.19
- Released 5.10.5
Vikram Karve shared
Hi All! Here is what Workstation & Community Tools are working on... Note - there is a release blocker specific to macos arm64 where we see runtime error when
git clone is run, we are still on the RCAReady for release
- Introduced network interface addition support in kitchen-vcenter
- Address regression in cookbook caching- thanks @karmix!Fixed an issue with cookbook-omnifetch config default - thanks again @karmix!Fix to
knife user createissue
- Updating test-kitchen plugins to Ruby 3.1
chef supermarketUnblock test-kitchen release by fixing
bundle installissue in Windows pipelineImplementation of
chef envin Golang is complete. Integration test failure being addressed.
- Team is automating e2e test for kitchen-ec2 plugin first
- Team has good understanding of bento and now learning fauxhai
- Begun updating test-kitchen CI to use GitHub actions
It's been a quiet week for sous-chefs. I don't see any releases in the past week.
Hello from the Cinc Project!
- Released 4.56.19, 5.7.9 and 5.10.5
- Released 17.10.0