Meeting Notes for August 19, 2021

DevRel Weekly Community Updates 2021-08-19

We’ll share this content at the weekly Community meeting in public slack on Thursdays at 9 am Pacific.

Examples of things that might be of interest:

• new LCR module/track/whatever available
  • that LCR swag thing that we've got going on
  • any events we're going to be at anytime soon
Item Point Person(s)
Learn Chef/Anything else @Steve Del Fante

@Dan Webb

@Kiah Tolliver||
|Community|@benny Vasquez||

Below is the template for sharing these meeting notes on http://discourse.chef.io

This template is meant to make it easier to format and share the meeting notes every week. The names can be adjusted to whoever actually did the sharing that week, and the content below it can be italicized to make it easier to differentiate.

Below are the meeting notes for this week's Community Meeting, a text-based meeting held weekly in #community-meetings on our community slack, which you can join: https://community-slack.chef.io/

DevRel/Community

benny Vasquez shared

This week’s releases

Chef Automate

benny Vasquez shared

Automate 2 version 20210813114337 Released. Read more about that here

Chef Habitat

benny Vasquez shared

Chef Infra Server

benny Vasquez shared

Chef Infra Client

benny Vasquez shared

Chef Inspec

benny Vasquez shared

Chef InSpec has released twice! Read more about 4.39.8 here and 4.41.2 here

Chef Workstation

benny Vasquez shared

Other releases

tas50 shared

Updates

Chef Automate

Ankur Mundhra shared

Chef Habitat

mwrockx shared

Chef Infra Client

@Marc Paradise on behalf of tas50 shared

Ohai folks! I'm filling in for Tim this week. Some of these words are mine, but most are his: This last week there have been 4 releases of Cookstyle. The RuboCop engine has been updated to 1.19 with a ton of bug fixes for offense detection and we've added 13 new Chef Infra cops. These new cops mostly detect cookbooks that have been deprecated or where the resources have been moved into the client itself. They'll help people cleanup old dependencies making upgrades difficult.We also released a new version of the chef-apply gem which provide the chef-run command. This new version adds support for running adhoc jobs on Solaris hostsWork continues on Compliance Phase 2 and Windows Certificate Store bootstrap support. The docs bug from last week has been merged, which will let us automate a lot more of our resource docs. Work has resumed on secrets integrations.

Chef Infra Server

prajakta shared

Chef Inspec

cwolfe shared

Chef Workstation

@Vikram Karve shared

Hi All! Here are the updates from Workstation team
Ready-for-release

• Solaris support PR is merged to master
  • New cookstyle ready with 6 new cops

Work-in-progress

• Identify integration test approach for Go implementation changes
  • Address review comments in PR raised for issue in kitchen-vagrant
  • Addressing issue a & b in workstation-app

Sous Chefs

ramereth shared

Hello from Sous Chefs!

Here's the list of new releases in the past week:

• sc_vscode - 1.0.9

• Fix missing Changelog Entries

• yum - 7.0.0

• Enable unified_mode for Chef 17 compatibility

• Remove deprecated dnf_yum_compat recipe

Additionally, there were several other patch releases that were not announced that only fixed standard files used in the CI for most of our repos and did not change any user-facing code to the cookbooks.

Cinc Updates

ramereth shared

Hello from the Cinc Project!

Cinc Server

• Working on resolving some testing issues and compilation issues

• Will work on 14.7 and 14.8 once the remaining issues with 14.6 are resolved

• Update from @jgitlin regarding the upstream word mark PR:

• I have a first round of Chef Server wordmarks completed and ready for testing, but I am running into build issues when trying to test my changes. I posted about these in the #chef-server channel. It looks like the code is pinned to a particular commit hash of git://github.com/chef/chef_secrets.git which isn't present? I have some ideas to debug further (like building from an earlier tag) but if anyone has ideas for how to resolve this, please let me know!

Cinc Client

• Re-released 16.14.1 for all aarch64 and s390x builds due to an empty cacert file happening due to an upstream docker bug

• This might have affected other recent builds, if that's the case please let me know and we'll fix those builds too.

Cinc Auditor

• Released 4.41.2

Other updates

benny shared

Last thing from me: the ChefConf 2021 giveway this week is Pictogram: Guess the word to DevOps term and is live now!. The contest will be open until Aug 20th. links: Chef Software on LinkedIn: ChefConf '21 Giveaway #3 & Chef on Twitter

See you next week!

This topic was automatically closed after 3 days. New replies are no longer allowed.