Meeting notes for February 24th, 2022

Below are the meeting notes for this week's Community Meeting, a text-based meeting held weekly in #community-meetings on our community slack, which you can join:


benny Vasquez shared

We haven’t had any live streams this week, but we’ll be back next week! Make sure you’re paying attention here or are subscribed on twitch or youtube to see when we go live.

This week’s releases

Chef Infra Client

benny Vasquez shared

Infra Client had two releases this week, 16.17.51 and 17.9.52 . Both of those included updates for OpenSSL, but the 17 release also include updates around compliance phase enforcement.

Chef Workstation

benny Vasquez shared

Chef Workstation 22.2.802 was released as well. This one comes with some compliance phase improvements, more test kitchen improvements (Thanks @pkazi !), and some cookstyle improvements (thanks @yacn !).


Chef Automate

Ankur Mundhra shared

Hello community! This week the team worked on:

  • Security improvements to stop sending login token in URL during Automate login
  • Working on Chef User migration from Chef Infra Server to Chef Automate from Automate UI
  • Working on improving Automate backup and restore for huge datasets
  • Completed opt-in telemetry events for Chef Roles tab in Chef Infra Server view
  • Working on config driven subnet setup for AWS deployment in Automate HA
  • Testing of ElasticSearch 6.8.23 setup for earlier HA installations
  • Working on 5 node cluster for Automate HA deployment
  • Upgraded to PG 9.6.24
  • Working on pre and post checklist items for PG 13 upgrade

-Team Automate

Chef Habitat

mwrockx shared

Hello from Habitat! This week's updates:

  • Making progress on next core-plans refresh
  • Working on auto bumping core plan versions
  • New developers onboarding
  • Investigating build order of core plan refresh
  • Investigating rolling deployment bug when demoting package from a tracking channel while a rolling update is in progress
  • Working to resolve docker studio supervisor on M1 platform
  • Looking at compiling hab toolchain on ARM
  • Working to add option to include "sandbox" channels when listing bldr channels
  • Working to add backoff/retry for run and init hooks

Chef Infra Client

tas50 shared

Hey folks it's been a quiet-ish week for Infra Client while we work on our quarterly planning and onboard a new engineer

  • Continued work on moving client.pem content into the Windows cert store
  • train-rest is now shipping in Infra Client as the first step in getting remote device management over REST apis. Thanks @theinen
  • Dug into a GIANT pile of CI failures we've been experiencing lately. Fixes for specs and Test Kitchen runs in particular have taken a lot of time
  • Resolved a number of Ruby 3.x splat arg failures throughout the code. That may fix some real bugs for users
  • Started rolling out Ruby 3.1 testing to all our chef owned dependencies. This also involves a ton of CI tech debt cleanup
  • Cookstyle 7.32 shipped with a new cop for finding the old .foodcritic files and a great fix to the .delivery/ directory detection from @karmix

That's it for this week. Thanks folks

Chef Infra Server

Lincoln Baker shared

Good to be here! Hello from Infra Server.

Here are some updates for this week.

And... that's all folks.

Chef Inspec

cwolfe shared

The Chef InSpec Team has been working on:

  • Finished progress bar reporter with pretty colored output indicating pass/fail
  • Investigating windows habitat bad build
  • Started work on ipfilter resource
  • Wrapped up work on SSL auth for winRM
  • Great progress on using gems in profiles, nearly finished

Chef Workstation

Vikram Karve shared

Hi All! Here is what Workstation & Community Tools are working on

Released build 22.2.802 with these updates, besides others

  • Fix to chef report cookbook issue, where additional flags weren't recognised Minor feature add in chef push to include specified profile chef generate commands to support compliance phase

Follow-up release planned for next week (or sooner!)

  • address regression introduced in ChefSpec
  • address an issue with cached cookbooks


  • Moving knife supermarket to chef supermarket
  • Updating test-kitchen and plugins to Ruby 3.1
  • Add network interface addition support in kitchen-vcenter
  • Wrapping up implementation of chef env in Golang. Adding telemetry support in chef CLI execution on Workstation Addressing knife user create issue

Sous Chefs

ramereth shared

Hello from the Sous Chefs!

Here's the list of new releases in the past week:

  • motd-tail - 6.0.0
    • Enable unified_mode and require Chef >= 15.3
    • Cookstyle fixes
    • Use shared GitHub Actions workflow
  • remote_install - 3.0.0
    • Enable unified_mode and require Chef >= 15.3
    • Cookstyle fixes
    • Use shared GitHub Actions workflow

Still slowly going through the various cookbooks to fix and update the CI pipelines. If you have a PR that's broken due to this, we'll prioritize those getting fixed

Cinc Updates

ramereth shared

Hello from the Cinc Project!


  • Released 16.17.51 & 17.9.52


  • Released 22.2.802


  • We're making more progress on the upstream word mark replacement pull request
  • We're hoping to get this in the next stable release but it depends on working out a few remaining issues
  • Once that release has been made, we'll do a review and see if we're ready to mark our build "stable" and word mark free or not

Other updates

benny Vasquez shared

I’ve got one more thing from @damacus :

Hello from the Test Kitchen Community!

We’ve enabled GitHub Discussions for long term conversations over on the Test Kitchen org.
We’ll be discussing long term goals, and any open source organisation structure. My goal with this is to do as much open communication with the community in a recorded place that Test Kitchen owns.
We could have added it to Discourse, but that’s Progress Chef owned, and we have other interest parties

See you next week!

This topic was automatically closed after 3 days. New replies are no longer allowed.