benny Vasquez shared
Second: We have re-launched Chef on the AWS and Azure marketplaces. If you’ve ever tried before, you know that these marketplace listing help a TON when getting started with Chef on AWS Marketplace or on Azure Marketplace. You can get some more details about it in this blog post by @John Tonello . You can also ask @Sudharshan Kaushikk for more info, as this has long been his baby.
And third, we’re trying to streamline how we accept feedback for existing courses (and ideas for new content) on learn.chef.io , to help decentralize the info (ie: get it out of my notes) and we’re down to two options. Help us decide by adding your vote-by-emoji in Slack .
benny Vasquez shared
First up, Chef InSpec had a release: https://discourse.chef.io/t/chef-inspec-4-37-30-released/19989
Besides a few bug fixes, it also included support for Ed25519-based SSH key exchange algorithms.
benny Vasquez shared
And Chef Supermarket 3.4.8 released with a TON of CVE-related updates, including OpenSSL and curl. Get ye updated!
Test Kitchen 2.12 is out with some nice new improvements including support for the new slow resource report: https://github.com/test-kitchen/test-kitchen/blob/master/CHANGELOG.md#2120-2021-06-10
The kitchen-dokken driver 2.13 is out with support for the slow resource report, hostname aliases, and better Windows support: https://github.com/test-kitchen/kitchen-dokken/blob/master/CHANGELOG.md#2130-2021-06-11
Ankur Mundhra shared
Hello community :highfive:
- :man_in_steamy_room: Members in Chef Automate team have been busy building things which help you all!
- :nailedit: Redirect users to node credentials page while adding node credentials from Scan job under Compliance scanning page
- :staff_of_aesculapius: Build backend APIs to modify date-time format from settings
- :fixit: Fixed unit tests to handle ES indexes for months with 31 days, UI scrollbar in Infra Server views and ha_chef_server failure case
- :goldstar: Capability to edit and update node attributes from node view section in Infra server view
- Disabled the ability to edit default roles and environments in Infra Server views
- :informational_message: Attributes in the environment details page of Infra Server view matches the one showed for “knife environment show foo”
- :fidget-spinner: Added spinner to every delete operation in Infra Server views
- :party_inspec: Compliance profiles updated: Tomcat8 v1.1.0, CIS SLES15 v1.0.0, CIS MSSQL Server 2017 v1.2.0
- Expanded documentation coverage of node views to include run list, manage tags and reset key
- Updated Infra Server to 14.4.4 to fix security concerns and make platform ready to support ES 7
Webinar on Infra Server views was completed and an on-demand version is available now
Active work is also happening on data feed, data archiving and ServiceNow integration!
This week we have been working on:
- Builder Notifications
- Core-plans team onboarding
- Continued work on core-plans refresh
- Upgrading Rust runtime for habitat codebase
Chef Infra Client
- Improved the Policyfile experience with a new
metadataoption to simplify policyfiles
- Work underway to move client.pem into the Windows Certificate Store and to pull secrets from AWS
- Added windows_defender and windows_defender_exclusion resources
- Added x25519 gem to knife to support knife ssh with the latest key types
- Updated windows_printer resource to automatically install the driver, allow skipping the creation of the port if you want a more customized port, and load the state properly so you get reporting
Chef Infra Server
This week we are preparing for the end of the month Infra Server release coming. We have:
- Added a config
allow_email_update_only_from_manage. When set it will block any source other than manage, like knife from updating user’s email address.
- Added error message logging to indicate the possible causes in case the reindexing script fails.
- Updated omnibus dependencies
- Fixed the issues related to chef-server-ctl restore on upgrading to Chef Infra Server 14.
- haproxy update 1.6.16 -> 1.8.30
We are in the process of:
- Fixing the issue that blocked the rails upgrade. (4.2.11 -> 6.0)
- Preparing for updating postgresql 9.6 -> 12.5 (or 13.2)
- Adding the fix for the customer reinxed issue identified in https://github.com/chef/chef-server/issues/2389 That is all for the Server Team!
The Chef InSpec team is working on:
- Creating resources for Sybase database
- Improving error handling for database resources when the database is not connected
- Making a resource to represent Oracle configuration
- Making resources to support MongoDB
- Investigating an issue with SSH connections when PrintLastLog is enabled
Nikhil Gupta shared
Hello From Workstation
- Moving chef -v to go
- Better error message on when passing the invalid AMI ID while creating ec2 instance
- macOS builds failing for the M1 macs
Hello from Sous Chefs!
GitHub Actions are currently broken due to a bug with Docker and how the GH Actions Runners are configured. We have a workaround in the pipeline that should be available in the next Chef Workstation release. This has impacted our releases quite a bit in the past week.
Here's the list of new releases in the past week:
- aptly - 2.4.0:
- Make tmpdir configurable
- firewall - 3.0.0:
- Add Amazon Linux support
- Fix firewall resource actions list
- First attempt to modernize testing
- Various Cookstyle fixes
- haproxy - 12.1.0:
- Add ssl_lib and ssl_inc properties to haproxy_install to support openssl
We're in the middle of refactoring how we managed the Sous Chefs Github org with Terraform thanks to @damacus . Due to hitting api limits with the amount of webhooks with the current setup so we're splitting this up into several TF repos. In addition, we're now are moving towards the idea of a Sous-Chefs maintainer, bot and board team as maintaining 160+ teams isn't ideal. Many of those cookbooks were empty or only had one person on the team.You might have seen notifications a bunch of team deletions in the past day or two which is related to us cleaning up old teams. You can verify your Sous Chefs membership by going to this repository https://github.com/sous-chefs/terraform-github-membership .
We're still in the middle of refactoring and will likely have a blog post in more detail about the changes.
Hello from the Cinc Project!
- Released 4.37.25 & 4.37.30
- Released 21.6.479 via the unstable channel