Kiah Tolliver shared
Let’s kick things off with some updates from DevRel:
If you use Chef Workstation, please take a look at this conversation over in #chef-workstation. We’ve got some changes coming and we want your input!
Next week’s live streams:
Jan 25th - Digging into InSpec Matchers
Jan 27th - On Being Lazy with Jess Rose
Tune in on YT: Chef Software
Twitch: ChefSoftware - Twitch
Kiah Tolliver shared
Automate 2 version 20220113154113 Released! This release contains new CLI options as well as a few product and service version upgrades.
Kiah Tolliver shared
Chef Manage 3.2.43 Released! This release resolves a regression in the previous 3.2.35 release, which resulted in icons not displaying in the Manage UI.
kitchen-vra 3.0 is also out with support for VMware vRealize Automation 8. The project changelog mentions the new support, but we have docs up for this driver now: VMware vRealize Automation
Ankur Mundhra shared
Updates for the week:
- Started working towards semantic versioning of Automate release
- Working on embedded PG 13.x upgrade
- Working on changes in Automate deployment service for config driven external ES and PG deployment. Deployment service will not start embedded PG and ES packages if using external.
- Automate HA solution to support upgrade and deployment for airgap bundles
- Validation commands of Automate HA are now available
- Fixed bug to ensure that Automate can connect via proxy server while using compliance scan in AWS
Hello from Habitat!
This week's updates:
Making progress on next core-plans refresh
Working on auto bumping core plan versions
Improve frontend scaling option for on-prem builder
New developers onboarding
Cleaning and automating API docs
Chef Infra Client
- We're digging into some packaging issues with the omnibus project that are causing omnibus packages to reach out to system libraries. This is causing issues with FreeBSD 13 build attempts and potentially causing failures with archive_file resource in recent 17 releases
- Our work to move our PowerShell DLLs into their own gem that can be more easily released has wrapped up and is about to be merged into the chef repo
- Our first Infra Client 18 builds hit current and our process docs are nice and fresh for next year
- Reading client pem data from the Windows cert store is about to wrap up
- Amazon 2022 x86 builds are flowing to current now
Chef Infra Server
Lincoln Baker shared
- Work on supporting opensearch in Chef Infra Server -
- Work on upgrading ES version in chef-backend -
- Work on improving the dev environment -
- Work on the knife ec backup issue -
- Work on adding a scenario for testing chef-backend upgrade
The Chef InSpec team has been working on:
- Continued work on expanding support for more containerization systems on the
virtualizationresource - PR now open for kubernetes and podman support
- Adding support for SSL authentication with WinRM
- Fixing a bug in which the
inspec execdoes not work with dependent profiles loaded with the
httpsprotocol and a self-signed certificate
- Clarifying docs around waiver expiration dates
Vikram Karve shared
Hi All! Here is what we are onto
Ready for release
- The community tools team has wrapped up kitchen-vra work including doc update to support vRA8. This plugin will be bundled with workstation as well.
- Support for Chef ad hoc runs on AIX
- Apple M1 support (well, almost... most components are getting built native for arm64, sorting out some hiccups in CI/CD pipeline)
- Continuing on implementing
chef envin Golang. We are finalising amongst feasible ways to record relevant paths.
- Adding workstation install related telemetry
- Introducing test coverage report in PRs through GitHub workflow.
- POC on setup wizard toward ease-of-onboarding in Chef Infra
- Taken up few issues 1) & 2) for fixing
Hello from the Sous Chefs!
Here's the list of new releases in the past week:
atlantis - 2.0.0: Enable
unified_modeand require Chef >= 15.3
djbdns - 5.1.3: Cookstyle fixes
fileutils - 2.1.1: Cookstyle fixes
foreman - 0.1.0: Cookstyle fixes
logrotate - 3.0.6: Do not sort options as the order can be important
openvpn - 5.4.0: Cookstyle fixes
rundeck - 7.2.0: Cookstyle fixes
rvm - 1.1.0: Cookstyle fixes
sysinternals - 1.1.4: Cookstyle fixes
yum-mysql-community - 5.3.0
Update gpgkey urls in attribute files: mysql57, mysql-connectors
Update gpgkey urls in repo resource
As you can tell there was a new Cookstyle release this past week cough @tas50
We're going to be focusing on finishing up any remaining cookbooks that still need to have
unified_mode enabled for the upcoming Chef 18 release
In addition, we're going to be looking at switching any CI pipelines using CentOS 8 to switch to testing AlmaLinux/Rocky Linux along with adding CentOS Stream. CentOS 8 is EOL and will be removed from the mirrors at the end of the month and will cause CI failures
Hello from the Cinc Project!
- Fixing Windows builds in Chef 17 is a top priority and will be hopefully fixed soon
It turns out the gcc build environment on Windows is rather picky when trying to build Chef. We're looking into resolving it but it's taking a lot of time unfortunately
- Looking into resolving issues with running
cinc -vbefore releasing 22.1.745 (still having had time to look into this)
We have started an etherpad to try and track discussion during our Bi-Weekly. Please feel free to add any topics for the next meeting next week.