Ohai Chefs! Thanks for joining me for another community meeting.
Let’s kick things off with a few updates from DevRel:
In case you missed it a few weeks ago, we announced changes coming to the downloads page. The changes were originally scheduled to roll out October 4th, then again on November 9th but were postponed due to internal reasons. We expect these changes to roll out within the next week. I will update the community once the changes are live.Here’s a link to the original post for reference: https://chefcommunity.slack.com/archives/C2S3D61LL/p1664565433920449
Also, due to scheduling conflicts with some internal Chef folks, we’re postponing our Community Advisory Council meeting until next Thursday, November 17th. The time is the same, 1pm ET. Apologies for the inconvenience.
Lastly, Community Meeting Notes on Discourse are all up to date.
Chef Infra Server
Chef Infra Server 15.3.2 Released! This release brings a host of new features including the use of virtual-hosted-style URLs when connecting to S3.
Ankur Mundhra shared
Highlights of this week include:
- Working to add certificates from config.toml at the time of deployment of each HA service node
- Working to make the file path of system logs configurable for a given system
- Working to add a cleanup script to clear HA system for AWS deployment
- Ability to rotate certificates of all PostgreSQL nodes using path of certificate in config file
- Improved CLI messaging to reflect success message in CLI after running config patch from bastion system
- Chef Automate Integration app (ServiceNow CMDB app) and Chef Automate Incident Creation app are now supported on San Diego version of ServiceNow
Hello from Habitat!
This week's updates include:
- ARM package bootstrapping
- New Habitat Release in the next few days to include some experimental work aroung studio-less builds and a fix for Windows 11/2022 docker studio
Chef Infra Client
Thomas Powell shared
- still working on FIPS issue for Chef 18
, narrowing down possible causes but no resolution just yet.
- Merging in PRs for 18
- Chef 16 and 17 continuing to fix pipeline issues and then will merge backports and fixes
Chef Infra Server
Lincoln Baker shared
Hello from Infra Server
- Chef Infra Server 15.3.2 Released!
Replaced AWS SigV2 with SigV4 authentication for connecting to S3.
Added virtual-hosted-style URLs for use when connecting to S3.
Added new optional setting s3_url_type for use when connecting to S3.
Added support for Ubuntu 22.04.
Updated gather logs to include Chef Infra Server upgrade version history.
Fixed a bug in the knife user create subcommand which allowed duplicate email addresses.
Fixed a bug in knife-tidy which was removing needed cookbooks in some cases.
CVE-2022-22971: Spring Framework DoS with STOMP over WebSocket.
CVE-2022-21619: Improper handling of long NTLM client hostnames.
CVE-2022-21626: Excessive memory allocation in X.509 certificate parsing.
CVE-2022-21624: Insufficient randomization of JNDI DNS port numbers.
CVE-2022-21628: HttpServer no connection count limit.
CVE-2022-39399: Missing SNI caching in HTTP/2.
CVE-2022-21618: Improper MultiByte conversion can lead to buffer overflow.
- Fixed external-postgresql obsolete/removed xenial package issue.
- Fixed the supermarket scenario (reverted doorkeeper upgrade).
- In progress - Updating the documentation for user public key.
- In progress - Message delivery subsystem implementation.
- In progress - Designing queue provider interface [Adhoc Jobs].
- In progress - Scheduler service API implementation [Adhoc Jobs].
- In progress - Fix docker/docker-compose configuration [Adhoc Jobs].
- In progress - Define logging framework for Courier Service.
- In progress - Update release process for more frequent Erlang dependency updates.
- In progress - Investigating chef-server-ctl reindex issue.
- In progress - knife ec backup updates.
The Chef InSpec Team has been working on:
- Fixing a problem with the CI test pipeline on Ruby 2.7
- Fixing a problem with nokogiri building on omnibus
- Looking into some code coverage metrics
- Working on an internal project
Vikram Karve shared
- Workstation GUI - Wrapping up UI dev work, resolved a packaging issue on Mac
- Workstation - Identifying what updates/ changes need to made to bundle chef client v18 + inspec v5
- Omnibus - Mac universal installer for chef client v18 is ready. figuring out a way to make it available on packages.chef.io via omnitruck.chef.io
- Omnibus - Introducing changes to optimise build time.
Hello from the Sous Chefs!
Here's the list of new releases in the past week:
- etcd - 9.1.0: Add configuration flag -experimental-peer-skip-client-san-verification
Hello from the Cinc Project!
New platforms binaries: MacOS 12 (x86) & RHEL 9 (x86, aarch64, ppc64le)
- Will start working on a build for that and will hopefully also adding native Ubuntu 22.04 binaries